The mission of The Westmoreland Museum of American Art is to offer a place to share compelling and meaningful cultural experiences that open the door to new ideas, perspectives and possibilities. Our vision is that we imagine a world in which everyone feels valued and represented.

The Westmoreland Museum of American Art is situated upon the traditional lands of the Adena, Hopewell, Monongahela, Delaware, Shawnee, and Seneca-Cayuga peoples. We honor all of the indigenous nations and their land with great gratitude and acknowledge the genocide and continuous displacement of indigenous peoples. We also acknowledge the enslaved Africans whose labor built this country during the colonial era and beyond. We acknowledge the harm inflicted upon the indigenous communities and people of color across the country, which guides and inspires our work as a museum.

The Museum in 1959

The Westmoreland was established in 1959 through a generous bequest from Mary Marchand Woods, a long-time Greensburg resident who wanted her community to have an important cultural institution. From the early years, an inspirational collection of significant American art was amassed, alongside a strong exhibition and educational program.

A 1997 campaign greatly improved the visitor’s experience at the Museum, and made it a vital and forward-thinking regional asset. With its 50th Anniversary in 2009, there was an opportunity to celebrate past accomplishments and discuss future goals as a museum for the 21st century—marked by a long-planned-for expansion and renovation.

After a national search, Ennead Architects of New York was selected to design The New Westmoreland—a dynamic building to reflect its era and its function. LaQuatra Bonci Landscape Architects of Pittsburgh was chosen to beautify the Museum grounds. The project was completed in the fall of 2015.

The transformational and LEED® certified design features a complete renovation of the original 30,000 square-foot space, and includes a 13,287 square-foot addition with new galleries and community and educational programming spaces.

A cantilevered wing provides expanded space for traveling exhibitions and a new collection of post-1950s works.

IMG_5435

A lower level wing makes way for a large Community Room for concerts, lectures and private rental events.

Outdoors, a masterful design unfolds with a series of intimate gardens and outdoor terraces, a meadow and bounty of native plantings. The Garden’s innovative, environmentally-sustainable and fully ADA-accessible design features outdoor sculptures, seating areas and Wi-Fi. It can be enjoyed year-round.