DBAP CALL FOR ARTISTS
‘MAKE OUR DIFFERENCES OUR STRENGTHS’
BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN FOR WESTMORELAND COUNTY
Application Deadline: Monday, April 20, 2020*
*Please note that the application deadline has been extended by ten days from Friday, April 10 to Monday, April 20.
Project Budget: $5,000
Artist Info Session 1:
March 7, 2020 > 10am,
The Westmoreland Museum of American Art,
221 North Main Street, Greensburg, PA 15601
Artist Info Session 2:
March 10, 2020 > 6pm,
Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council,
Conference Room, 7th Floor,
810 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
The Westmoreland Diversity Coalition, in partnership with The Westmoreland Museum of American Art, has been awarded a Just Arts Project Grant from The Heinz Endowments. Just Arts is a collaborative grant making initiative of The Heinz Endowments’ Learning, Sustainability and Creativity strategic areas. Rooted in the foundation’s aspirational vision for a Just Pittsburgh, the initiative supports the development of a more inclusively imagined future through art.
The project, Make Our Differences Our Strengths, is a public art campaign that uses billboards as the canvas. Placed throughout Westmoreland County, these billboards will visually convey how diversity and inclusion make Westmoreland County communities stronger. We are looking for artists to create a compelling and provocative public artwork that speaks to this message.
The campaign consists of three parts:
Billboards Throughout Westmoreland County:
Selected artist’s work will fit the dimensions of a 14’ x 48’ billboard or 10’ 5” x 22’ 8” ‘poster’ billboard. Artwork will be printed on vinyl and installed on twenty (20) billboards throughout Westmoreland County. Each of the artists selected will have their work shown on no less than two different billboards. The works will be on view from 12 to 24 weeks (potentially for a longer period).
Digital Screens at Westmoreland Mall:
Selected artists will also be required to adapt their artwork to a portrait format for eight (8) vertical screens located throughout the Mall.
The original work of art of each selected artist will become part of a traveling exhibition to be shown at various locations throughout the county. Selected artists will be required to attend all opening ‘meet the artist’ receptions for these exhibitions and participate in educational programming at designated locations.
Each of the selected artists will receive $5,000 to:
- Create a new public artwork for this campaign
- Adapt artwork to vertical format for digital screens at Westmoreland Mall;attend at least four ‘meet the artist’ receptions for these exhibitions
- Participate in up to at least one (1) educational program, such as artist talk or workshop, at designated locations
- Allow the use of their artwork in, but not limited to, marketing and promotional materials for the Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art. Use of the artwork does NOT cover commercial reproduction, e.g. sales of reproductions or use on merchandise, such as t-shirts, mugs, etc..
As fiduciary arm of the project, The Westmoreland Diversity Coalition will pay billboard production costs and will retain the vinyl reproductions.
For questions or further information, please contact the Lead Artist for the project:
Sheila Cuellar-Shaffer at email@example.com.
The Selection Committee will be comprised of representatives from the Westmoreland Diversity Coalition board, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art and Westmoreland County community. They will review submissions based on the following criteria:
- Artistic excellence as demonstrated in previous examples of artwork as well as exhibition history
Compelling proposal that speaks to the project, Make Our Difference Our Strengths
- Call released: February 15, 2020
- Deadline for submissions: April 10, 2020
- Jury selection process:April, 2020
- Artists notified: April 30, 2020
- Agreements completed and 50% payment issued: May 15, 2020
- High-resolution images of artwork due: August 1, 2020
- Artwork installed on billboards: Monday, October 1, 2020
- Selected artists to deliver original works of art to The Westmoreland Museum of American Art for the traveling exhibition: October 1, 2020 (location to be determined). Note: all artwork must be exhibit ready.
- The Westmoreland Museum of American Art opening exhibition and ‘meet the artist’ reception – Saturday, October 24 from 5:00 – 8:00 pm.
- Final payment issued: January 31, 2021
- Artists must be 18 years or older and live in Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Washington or Westmoreland County.
- Individual artists or groups are eligible to submit a proposal.
- Artists may submit up to five (5) examples of their work to demonstrate their artistic excellence.
- Artwork must be original and produced by the submitting artist. Artist must own the copyright for the artwork and images or have permission to use copyrighted images in his/her design.
Selected artist must be willing to sign a release giving the Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art all rights to use the artwork for the purposes stated in this call.
If selected, the artist agrees to the following contractual agreements.
Each of the selected artists will enter into a contract with the Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art and will be required to sign a Lamar Outdoor Advertising Clearance form and adhere to a decency policy, which states that the work will be appropriate for all audiences.
At all times the artist retains full copyright of the work of art. The Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art are not responsible for any third-party infringement of the artist’s copyright or for protecting the intellectual property rights of participating artists.
Marketing and Promotion:
The Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art will host a project webpage and maintain it with the current locations of all displayed artwork and billboards. Artists will allow the use of their artwork in, but not limited to, marketing and promotional materials for the Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art.The Westmoreland Diversity Coalition and The Westmoreland Museum of American Art will jointly promote the work through both traditional and social media channels. Selected artists are also encouraged to promote their work through their own publicity and social media outlets.